Analyst David Schick said in a note that state and local governments might be willing to approve the opening of more urban stores in an effort to spur job growth.
Consumers are also still trying to spend less on basics, benefitting Wal-Mart, Schick wrote.
Schick said his Wal-Mart Amalgamated Leading Economic Index, an index of eight economic indicators that relate to Wal-Mart's stock price, showed its largest one-month swing in 10 years. This means the discounter has a better chance of outperforming going forward, according to Schick.Last week, Wal-Mart was upgraded by Goldman Sachs, after it announced plans to reorganize its business. Wal-Mart is consolidating some of its U.S. operations in an effort to increase efficiency. The company will combine its realty, store operations and logistics divisions, and it will reorganize operations into three geographic regions, each led by its own president. The company is also creating a new division called Global.com to oversee its e-commerce business. Earlier in the month the company revealed plans to lay off 11,200 Sam's Club employees and shutter 10 of the underperforming warehouse clubs. -- Reported by Jeanine Poggi in New York.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV