Blockbuster Gains As Rival Goes Bankrupt
(Blockbuster article updated with stock price movement.)
This is the second time in less than three years Movie Gallery has been forced to run from creditors.
The prospect of a thousand stores being eliminated from Movie Gallery's portfolio, which includes Hollywood Video stores, could be a consolation for investors who have been watching Blockbuster suffer.As a result, Blockbuster is climbing 7% to 46 cents in morning trading. In January, Blockbuster said its fourth-quarter earnings came in lower than expected due to weak holiday sales. Blockbuster now expects a loss between $183 million and $193 million. Movie rental stores like Blockbuster and Movie Gallery have, of course, faced increased competition from streaming and mail-service provider Netflix (NFLX)and kiosks from Coinstar (CSTR). -- Reported by Jeanine Poggi in New York.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV