Microsoft has lost $5 billion building the online business over the past four years and hopes to reverse the trend following a search advertising partnership with Yahoo! (YHOO), Reuters reports.
"As soon as we close and implement the Yahoo! deal, we have achieved a milestone: for advertisers, we are a credible No. 2," Yusuf Mehdi, senior vice president of Microsoft's online audience business, told Reuters.
"Really now, the goal is about share gain. If we grow share, we will grow our way into profitability, and we have confidence we can do that," Mehdi said. He added in the interview that "there's no question we intend to make a profit."Microsoft currently has 10.7% of the U.S. search marketplace, according to ComScore, up from 8% before Bing's launch in June, Reuters adds. It still trails Google's 65.7% and Yahoo!'s 17.3% share. Following the Yahoo! deal, which makes Bing the underlying search engine for Yahoo!, Microsoft could effectively control almost 30% of the search market, Reuters reports. "At 30 points we are now a credible option, so that number matters," said Mehdi. "The nice thing is we can say (to advertisers) you can be close to 30% share in one easy buy. That 30% carries a lot of weight in the marketplace." Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV