Updated from 2:16 a.m. EST
Toyota has received more than 100 complaints in the U.S. and Japan about brake problems with the Prius, the Associated Press reports.
The brake problems come as Toyota is dealing with a massive global recall because of sticking gas pedals. The latest reports have Toyota recalling anywhere from 4.5 million vehicles to 9 million, with 2.3 million in the U.S. alone.Vehicles Affected in the Toyota Recall Toyota's reputation is taking a serious hit, as are its sales. On Tuesday, the automaker said U.S. sales fell 16% to a 10-year low. Ford (F) sales rose 25%, outselling Toyota for the first time since June 2009. AP reports the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has received about 100 complaints involving the brakes of the Prius new model. Japan's transport ministry said Wednesday it also received 14 complaints since July on brake problems on the Prius. The new Prius gas-electric hybrid went on sale in Japan and the U.S. in May 2009. Toyota shares fell almost 6% in Tokyo on Wednesday. -- Reported by Joseph Woelfel in New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV