Fidelity's deal with BlackRock is limited in more ways than one. Customers are limited to 25 commission-free funds, while Fidelity hesitates to take the most important step: the introduction of proprietary funds.
The ETF industry is still in its adolescence, and there is plenty of room for a firm like Fidelity to make an impact. Schwab introduced commission-free funds for customers in 2009, and Pimco recently entered the ETF marketplace on the fixed-income side.
The most successful ETF issuers are able to step back and see where they can make an impact. Fidelity's reputation, loyal customer base, and dominance in the 401(k) space are a force to be reckoned with.
ETF investors, many of whom abandoned the sea of mutual funds for more transparent waters, have been slow to accept the type of actively managed ETFs that Rodger Lawson hinted at on his way out. Fidelity would be best served developing its own line of sector funds, based on its line of "Fidelity Select" mutual funds.Fidelity may be late in joining the ETF game, but the firm could easily become a major player. Fidelity must move quickly and efficiently, coloring offerings with the firm's identity.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV