Fidelity on Tuesday announced it would offer free trades on 25 iShares exchange-traded funds in a partnership with BlackRock (BLK). The move will help the mutual fund giant cultivate a stickier customer base and stay relevant in the exploding age of ETFs.
While I recently noted that a departing Fidelity executive hinted at proprietary funds (Fidelity Hints It May Get Into ETFs), today's announcement is a major milestone for the Boston behemoth.
The 25 funds are a predictable bunch, including big-name index brands that could be mistaken for mutual funds at first glance. BlackRock acquired iShares in June.
Too Little, Too Late?Fidelity's announcement may be an admission of missed opportunities in the ETF space. Vanguard, a competitor in the mutual fund space, has already transformed the ETF industry with low-cost iShares knock-offs. While Vanguard's most popular funds may not be examples of original thinking, they have shattered the mold in an industry where first-mover status is king. The Vanguard Emerging Markets Stock ETF (VWO), which goes head-to-head with iShares' EEM, raked in $1.2 billion in 2009, according to data from the National Stock Exchange. EEM, which was introduced earlier, netted $941 million. The first lesson Fidelity must learn is that ETF investors are a discerning bunch. If they are presented with an identical product at a lower price point, they know how to bargain-hunt.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV