COSTA MESA, Calif. (TheStreet) -- The list of companies using Emulex's (ELX) server and storage technology -- including IBM (IBM), DELL (DELL), Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) and Cisco (CSCO) -- just keeps growing.
In recent months, the company has talked about 15 "design wins" for its components, although CEO Jim McCluney admitted that the number is much bigger during a conference call organized by analyst firm Canaccord Adams.
"Not to be facetious, but we're running out of fingers and toes for our design wins," he quipped. "[In] the first half of this year, the majority of those 15 will come to market."
McCluney explained that the company had "ratcheted up more than 20 design wins," in response to a question from TheStreet. "The key message is that top-tier OEMs are adopting Emulex's technology."The company's shares closed up 72 cents, or 6.35%, at $12.06 on Tuesday, far outpacing the modest advance in tech stocks that saw the Nasdaq climb 0.87%. The data center equipment specialist, which competes with QLogic (QLGC), Brocade (BRCD) and LSI (LSI), recently announced strong second-quarter results and has emerged as something of an analyst darling. Last year McCluney told TheStreet that the tech rebound is underway, spurred on by companies' cloud computing efforts. During Emulex's conference call on Tuesday the CEO added that companies are also shifting from 1-Gigabit Ethernet to higher performance 10-Gigabit Ethernet systems, as well as the latest versions of Intel's (INTC) Nehalem chip, all of which are driving demand.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV