Abbott Laboratories (ABT) said on Sept. 15 that it will eliminate 160 jobs from its testing unit.
The manufacturing jobs will be cut by the end of 2012. The work will be outsourced to contractors.
The layoffs are part of a larger restructuring program Abbott Labs announced in January. At that time, the company said it will lay off 1,900 employees, or 2% of its work force.As a result of the restructure, Abbott expects to incur about $295 million in charges over the next few years, including about $165 million in 2011. The latest round of layoffs come after Abbott handed out pink slips to 3,000 employees in September 2010.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV