Lowe's (LOW) announced on Oct. 17 that it is shuttering 200 stores, resulting in 2,000 layoffs.
The home improvement products retailer expects an earnings hit of 17 to 20 cents a share from the restructuring.
The company will now open just 10 to 15 stores a year in North America from 2012 onward, down from its prior target of 30 stores annually."We have an obligation to make tough decisions when necessary to improve profitability and strengthen our financial position," Lowe's said in a statement. At the beginning of the year, the company also said it would eliminate 1,700 manager positions as it cut costs to offset lackluster demand for big-ticket renovations. While Lowe's has shed manager positions, it's created assistant manager positions and added more part-time sales workers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV