NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The job market has been a giant seesaw in 2011 -- just when things are looking up, another piece of data disappoints and sentiment dips back down.
While the economy added more jobs than expected in September, the gains were not enough to bring down the nation's unemployment rate, currently stuck at 9.1%.
The latest read on initial jobless claims also fell short of expectations and remained stuck near 400,000.Some 403,000 Americans filed for first-time unemployment benefits in the week ended Oct. 15, according to the Labor Department. The most recent weekly read ticked down by 6000. Economists expected a decline of 4,000 to 400,000 from the originally reported 404,000 claims in the prior week. However, the prior week's claims were upwardly revised to 409,000. While experts agree that layoffs will be less severe in 2011, companies continue to dole out pink slips. TheStreet is tracking these job cuts over the year. Click on to see what companies have announced layoffs in 2011...
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV