BASKING RIDGE, N.J., Feb. 1 /PRNewswire/ -- Verizon Wireless, provider of the nation's largest and most reliable 3G network, today announced the launch of VZ Navigator® 5.0, the newest version of its award-winning map, navigation and local search service, which helps users find their way around town. Powered by TeleCommunication Systems, Verizon Wireless' VZ Navigator is a GPS-enabled service that transforms a wireless smartphone or handset into an all-in-one powerful navigation and communication device, enabling customers to find useful information and discover new places and destinations.
Beginning today on select devices, VZ Navigator 5.0 will offer impressive enhancements to the existing service that take advantage of location-based technology, including an updated, easy-to-use interface, improved functionality finding points of interest, and the ability to run multiple VZ Navigator functions simultaneously within a navigation session. The service is now integrated with Facebook®, allowing users to keep up with their friends, family and social networks by updating their Facebook statuses directly through VZ Navigator, with the option to include and share their locations. Customers can also use Verizon Wireless' Roadside Assistance service to send their location to a dispatcher so assistance may reach them more quickly.
Other new features now available with VZ Navigator 5.0 include:
- Improved Customer Experience – No need to wait for the entire route to download before starting their voyage because data will now be streamed, causing display screens to populate more quickly
- Enhanced Points of Interest – Access to premium places of interest with detailed descriptions, clearly branded by Map Icons
- Traffic Crowd Sourcing – Opt-in to anonymously send real-time location and speed to the VZ Navigator traffic reporting service, allowing quicker notifications and improved accuracy for all VZ Navigator users
- Alerts for Other Road Attributes – Graphic notifications for tunnels, U-turns, traffic circles and toll plazas
- "Say it Mode" – Select BlackBerry® smartphones and Windows Mobile® handsets allow customers to verbally search for and update destinations