Updated from 2:53 a.m. EST
In a statement, Toyota said its engineers "have developed and rigorously tested a solution that involves reinforcing the pedal assembly in a manner that eliminates the excess friction that has caused the pedals to stick in rare instances. In addition, Toyota has developed an effective solution for vehicles in production."
Vehicles Affected in the Toyota Recall
Toyota said parts to reinforce the pedals are already being shipped to dealers and dealer training has begun. The automaker also said it has stopped production of affected vehicles for this week."We know what's causing the sticking accelerator pedals, and we know what we have to do to fix it," said Jim Lentz, president and chief operating officer of Toyota Motor Sales U.S. A. Toyota said it will install a precision-cut steel reinforcement bar into the gas pedal assembly that will reduce the surface tension between the friction shoe and the adjoining surface. "With this reinforcement in place, the excess friction that can cause the pedal to stick is eliminated," Toyota said. Toyota is recalling up to 9 million cars worldwide, including 2.3 million in the U.S and Canada, and has halted production of eight cars in the U.S., while it sought to determine how to fix the problem. The faulty gas pedals were made by CTS (CTS). Officials at CTS said they have increased production at three factories to make redesigned gas pedals. Honda (HMC), meanwhile, has recalled certain models over a faulty window switch. The recall would involve a total of 646,000 vehicles, including 140,000 units in the U.S., reports say. -- Reported by Joseph Woelfel in New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV