#25. American Express (AXP)
Financial stocks such as American Express have been beaten up over the past year, which leads to high volatility and poor financial strength as earnings are eroded. While American Express avoided losses on its income statement, its stock price has oscillated wildly, leading to a beta value of 2.3.
That said, the company is a decent "hold"-rated stock. American Express has good performance and is projected to post a growth rate that isn't horrible when compared with competitors. Deleveraging and a steadier stock price would help lift the rating. As it stands now, the stock is almost a high "hold" and has a reward grade of "B." Its dividend is a bit low, which also hampers the rating, but this one is approaching a very acceptable position based on stringent model requirements.
-- Reported by David MacDougall in Boston.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV