#27. General Electric (GE)
As TheStreet.com wrote last week, General Electric had an exhausting 2009. With the majority of concerns linked to the company's massive finance unit, GE has had many of the same problems as big banks. The unit has placed a huge amount of debt on the company's balance sheet and is now suffering wave after wave of loan write-downs, which make the subsidiary nearly unprofitable.
This mess on the financial side of the business has led to a good deal of stock volatility, as is evident by the company's high beta value of 1.7. As a result, the once all-powerful GE finds itself in the bottom tier of Dow stocks. Price stability and an end to write-downs are necessary for General Electric to regain its swagger. That may take some time because debt totals about half a trillion dollars. While still a "hold," GE needs to do some major work to get its house in order to be considered a safe bet.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV