Updated from 01/29/10
Update includes news that Bank of America Web site is operating again.
TheStreet was able to gain access to the site briefly Friday afternoon, but when it checked the site later in the afternoon, it was unable to get on the site. Readers posting comments on this story also said they could not access the main Web site.But a Bank of America representative Friday evening said the problem had been fixed as of 8 p.m. EST and that customers were once again able to gain access to the site. The Banc of America Online Investing Web site -- at https://www.baisidirect.com/live/login.jspv -- and the main Merrill Lynch Web site were working late Friday afternoon. Bank of America bought the investment brokerage powerhouse in 2008. A Bank of America representative said the company had ruled out a cyber attack as a cause, as some speculated online, but the company was working with its partners to determine the reason for the outage. Comments on the Clusterstock section of The Business Insider Web site indicated readers were apparently still able to use Bank of America applications for mobile banking on iPhone and Blackberry devices, but that the Bank of America site itself was unloadable. Bank of America shares closed down 1.3% to $15.18 on Friday. Volume was about 175 million shares late Friday. -- Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV