Regarding Windows 7 specifically, Eline said the company was evaluating the software. He also noted he was hesitant to make sweeping software changes that could disrupt current business applications used by the company and its clients.
"That's the type of science project I'm not really looking for," said Eline.
Microsoft hasn't exactly engendered warm feelings among tech buyers after the brilliant failure of its Vista operating system. But Windows 7 does offer Microsoft a chance to make peace and win back some loyalty.
Microsoft CFO Klein was optimistic on the call."As the enterprise spend does pick up [and] given our product pipeline, we feel very well positioned from an enterprise agreement perspective," Klein said. Hopefully for Microsoft, the pick-up happens before its customers pack up and move to other vendors like virtualization shop VMWare. -- Reported by Scott Moritz in New York Follow our tech coverage on Twitter and become a fan of TheStreet.com on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV