OMAHA, Neb. ( TheStreet) -- Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.B) operating subsidiary NetJets has been on a shaky flight path, but Berkshire's own stock continued to climb ever-higher last week, forcing investors to ask when the climb up by the Warren Buffett investment company would hit resistance.
Berkshire Hathaway ran into that resistance this week, as the unexpectedly high initial jobless claims on Thursday, and the continuing economic woes in the Euro nations led by Greece and Spain, pushed all equities down.
Thursday was a bad news day for Berkshire, in particular.
Still, last week was a watershed week for Berkshire Hathaway, with Standard & Poor's finally ending the rampant speculation about Berkshire being added to the S&P 500 Index, confirming that the historic marriage of the U.S. flagship equity index and U.S. flagship capitalist would indeed occur.Berkshire Hathaway has set new 52-week high share prices in its B shares four times in the past two weeks. The first time, the new trading high in the Berkshire Hathaway B shares was attained on Jan. 21, when Berkshire shares finally eclipsed the $70 mark, finishing Jan. 21 at $72.72. The first 52-week high was triggered by the 50-to-1 stock split in Berkshire's B shares, a move made to help finance the upcoming acquisition of Burlington Northern (BNI). The 52-week high was no small feat, even for can-do-no-wrong-in-the-eyes-of-the-market Warren Buffett.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV