Updated with Jan. 29 closing stock prices
By Jamie Dlugosch of Investor Place
In the aftermath of the bear market, there is no shortage of companies priced under $3 per share, but to successfully take advantage of the abundance of opportunities, you need to pick stocks based on the following criteria
- Look for companies with market capitalizations that are less than $500 million. You want stocks trading on a U.S. exchange, not shell companies.
- Find stocks with a reasonable business behind the stock.
- From there, look at fundamental value combined with technical analysis. Volume is important, and you want to be buying on weakness and selling on strength. (See also: The 6 Rules of Penny Stock Trading.) Based on these criteria, then, here are five penny stocks that belong in any portfolio. Yes, there is a high degree of risk with these picks, but, so too, is the potential reward.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV