Proposed Health Plans Would Likely Cost Less
Would there be a tax increase?
The House bill would hit individuals with adjusted gross incomes exceeding $500,000 (and households earning more than $1 million) with a 5.4% income tax.
The Senate bill doesn't include such a levy, but there is a tax on what are being called "Cadillac plans." Insurers and plan administrators who offer plans valued at $8,500 for individuals or $23,000 for families would be charged a 40% tax that would likely be passed on to consumers. Some industries, such mining and construction, would be exempt.
The Senate bill also proposes increasing the Medicare payroll tax from 1.45% to 2.35% for individuals earning more than $200,000. Employers would continue to pay their current tax of 1.45%.-- Reported by Joe Mont in Boston.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV