By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
More than 2,300 February 8 calls were bought for 25 cents in the final 25 minutes of trading Thursday, according to OptionMonster's tracking systems. The purchases came after the stock pulled back from an 8.2% drop and found support at its 200-day moving average.
About 2,000 contracts were sold earlier in the session, pushing volume in the strike to 4,410 against open interest of 2,738. As a result, it's not entirely clear whether the late-day call-buying represented new money or the closing of existing short positions. Either way, it reflects a belief that the stock's downside is limited.ON Semiconductor fell 6.3% to $7.44 in the session and is down 15% in the last month. The chipmaker gapped higher on strong results and a bullish forecast after its last earnings release on Nov. 3. The next report comes out after the bell on Feb. 3. The company's shares need to rally at least 11% by expiration for Thursday's call-buyer to turn a profit. Overall options volume in the name was five times greater than average Thursday, with calls outnumbering puts by 18 to 1. -- At the time of publication, Russell had no position in the stock mentioned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV