Updated from Thursday, Jan. 28
SEATTLE (TheStreet) -- Amazon (AMZN) is being praised by analysts, who are upping their target price on the stock after the e-retailer easily topped Wall Street's fourth-quarter estimates and released a positive outlook.
The news sent shares up 3.4% to $130.24 before the bell on Friday.
Needham upped its target to $140 from $120. "The Amazon story would appear to have no bounds," analyst Charles Wolf wrote in a note. "Through a combination of price leadership, superb service and continuing expansion of product offerings, Amazon is gaining share in the online e-commerce market even as the e-commerce market gains share from the physical commerce market."Jeffries also raised its price target to $160 from $150 and Kaufman Bros. lifted its target to $160 from $155. Looking ahead, Amazon predicts revenue in the range of $6.45 billion to $7 billion, better than the $6.36 billion analysts are looking for. Operating income is expected to fall between $275 million and $365 million. During the quarter, the company earned $384 million, or 85 cents a share, a 71% surge compared with $225 million, or 52 cents, in the year-ago period. Analysts expected earnings of 72 cents a share. Sales soared 42% to $9.51 billion from $6.7 billion last year. This was significantly higher than the $9.04 billion forecast. Amazon did not reveal how many Kindles it has sold.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV