Day Two reaction from analysts has also been mixed.
Suitably impressed by the introduction, Thomas Weisel analyst Doug Reid bumped up his iPad sales projections to 4.1 million this year, up from the 2.5 million he initially forecast. Reid sees a sales opportunity for the iPad, but not without a little impact on Apple's other products. The iPad "should drive incremental demand well above the minor cannibalization of iPod touch and Mac that may ensue," he says.
RBC analyst Mike Abramsky noted a few hits and misses, but sees where some of the 30 million iPod Touch users may trade up to the iPad.
"The iPad's launch partially exceeded hype, but -- owing to a) high 3G pricing and b) the absence of hoped-for features -- investors may be uncertain whether or not Apple has created a new computing category," Abramsky wrote in a research note Thursday.AT&T (T) managed to work its way into the iPad party, a surprise to more than a few observers who expected Verizon (VZ) to get the first whack at the Apple iPad. We haven't heard the last on that, say analysts who expect Apple to produce an iPad for Verizon later this year. On pricing, Apple managed to cover a broad range of iPad prices, which fall between $500 and $830, not including a $15 to $30 monthly data plan. Depending on your personal inventory of gadgets and your access to cash, the iPad may not be a must-have item. "Don't get me wrong -- the device is a nice 'want'," says Martin Taylor, an independent investor and former business development executive at IBM. "But considering that most people probably don't have a discretionary $500-$900 to spend on yet another electronic gadget, especially one carrying another subscription fee, the iPad is not a burning 'need'. -- Reported by Scott Moritz in New York
Related Stories>>Apple Unveils the iPad
>>Apple Tablet a Big iPod with Huge Plans
>>AT&T Sticks to Apple iPad
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV