BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- The Russell 2000, a small-cap barometer, has declined 3% during the past month as the stock market suffered a mild correction. Here are five cheap small-company stocks to consider buying.
5. Connecticut Water Service (CTWS) is a regulated water utility.
The numbers: Third-quarter profit doubled to $5.8 million, or 67 cents a share, as revenue declined 2% to $17 million. The company's operating margin extended from 32% to 36%. Connecticut Water Service has a poor liquidity position, evident in its quick ratio of 0.5. Its 1.1 debt-to-equity ratio indicates sizable leverage.
The stock: Connecticut Water Service decreased 5% during the past year, less than major U.S. indices. The stock trades at a price-to-earnings ratio of 18, a premium to water-utility peers. The shares offer a 4% dividend yield.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV