Motorola Building a Google-Only Phone
The fourth quarter marked the first full quarter of Motorola's revamped mobile phone strategy built around the Google Android.
Motorola has been slashing costs in an effort to respond to lower sales levels and the steep drop in phone sales. For the year, Motorola says it cut 11,000 employees.
Motorola's fourth quarter performance showed that the company continues to lose ground in mobile phones, which was partially offset by Android phone sales. The results contrast with surprisingly strong sales and market share gains at Nokia in the fourth quarter.
"Christmas quarters tend to be strong for Nokia," says MKM Partners analyst Tero Kuittinen. "I don't believe this changes the Nokia outlook for 2010, though. Nokia's new models are facing a very challenging competitive outlook."A strong Nokia showing, and record iPhone sales at Apple point to a hotly competitive market in the fourth quarter. These reports will raise concerns about how well BlackBerry maker Research In Motion (RIMM) fared and how Palm (PALM) may have done under the pressure. Motorola shares fell 4% in premarket trading Thursday. -- Reported by Scott Moritz in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV