On a conference call with analysts Thursday, co-CEO Sanjay Jha outlined the company's plans to introduce 20 smartphones this year including "one direct to consumer device with Google." The move would be similar to Google's Nexus One phone made by HTC, which boosts Google's effort to bypass telcos and to reach consumers.
The wireless tech shop reported adjusted earnings, excluding one-time charges, of 9 cents a share. That was up from the penny loss in the year-ago period and a penny better than analysts' expectations of an 8 cent pro forma profit, according to Yahoo! Finance.Sales for the fourth quarter fell 20% to $5.7 billion from the $7.1 billion level a year ago. Analysts were looking for sales of $5.9 billion. Looking ahead, Motorola says it expects a first quarter loss of between a penny to 3 cents a share. Analysts had a 3 cent profit target for Motorola in the first quarter. "We are just at the beginning stage of our transition to a smartphone company," co-CEO Jha said on the earnings conference call. Motorola sold 12 million phones and of those, 2 million were Google Android-powered smartphones including the Motorola Droid at Verizon (VZ) and the Cliq at Deutsche Telekom's (DT) T-Mobile.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV