CUPERTINO, Calif. ( TheStreet) -- Apple (AAPL) CEO Steve Jobs unveiled the hotly anticipated Tablet device -- the iPad -- which will be available at the end of March at a range of prices, from $500 to $830.
At a press conference in San Francisco Wednesday, Jobs called Apple the world's No.1 mobile device maker, bigger in revenue than Nokia (NOK). And in a surprise move, he named AT&T (T) -- and apparently not Verizon (VZ) -- as the iPad's 3G telco partner.
The stripped-down version of the iPad will cost $500 and comes enabled with WiFi connections only. The 3G verisons start at $630 and go up to $830. The 3G prices do not include a data service plan from AT&T, which go for $15 a month or $30 a month (for unlimited use).
AT&T shares jumped 3% to $26.01 and Apple's stock rose 2% to $209.75 immediately after the pricing was announced Wednesday.Jobs called the iPad a new category of devices that can outperform laptops and smartphones by delivering Web browsing, pictures, videos, music, games and e-books.
|Steve Jobs unveils the new Apple iPad|
|Stockpickr Answers Who is actually going to buy the Apple tablet?|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV