BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- The Russell Mid-Cap Index outperformed the Dow Jones Industrial Average and S&P 500 Index in 2009. Shares of the following medium-sized companies are likely to beat indices in 2010.
5. Check Point Software Technologies (CHKP) designs Internet-security programs.
The numbers: Third-quarter profit increased 14% to $91 million, or 43 cents a share, as revenue grew 17% to $234 million. Check Point's operating margin remained steady at 45%. The company has an ideal financial position, with $957 million of cash and no debt. Fourth-quarter results will be released today.
The stock: Check Point appreciated 43% during the past year, beating the Dow Jones Industrial Average and S&P 500 Index. The stock trades at a price-to-earnings ratio of 21, a discount to software peers. Check Point doesn't pay dividends.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV