This is obviously a bold move, and network services are within Apple's reach.
The key development is the content deals Apple has struck with book and magazine publishers, and reportedly TV programmers. Following its iTunes beat, Apple's text and video distribution deals will give the company superior footing against the e-book giant -- Amazon's (AMZN) Kindle.
For Apple, the deeper push into services represents a big gamble on the next stage of growth at a time when the company may now be reaching its peak in hardware sales.If analysts are correct, Apple's expansion in of its media store model is another link in what could be an all-Apple network. Given its vast media library and its host of devices, Apple is on the verge of morphing beyond online media retail to a new role as a network operator. -- Reported by Scott Moritz in New York
>>Apple's Tablet Unveiled: A Storied Device >>Don't Flee Amazon on Apple Tablet Jitters
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV