REDWOOD SHORES, Calif. TheStreet) -- The sun has set for Scott McNealy, Sun's (JAVA) outspoken co-founder and chairman, who, on the eve of Oracle's (ORCL) $7.4 billion acquisition of Sun, bid an emotional farewell to his company.
Yesterday McNealy sent an internal memo to Sun employees, which was published by CNET, outlining his feelings for the company he co-founded in 1982. The hockey-playing 54-year old has seldom missed an opportunity to trash-talk Sun's rivals, particularly during his 22-year tenure as CEO from 1984 and 2006.
True to form, McNealy's farewell letter mixes heartfelt feelings with his characteristic bullishness. Under the subject line "Thanks for a great 28 years," McNealy makes an impassioned departure from executive speak.
In addition to urging Sun's employees to "kick butt and have fun," McNealy describes the Santa Clara, Calif.-based firm as the "crown jewel of the technology industry.""Nothing I could write comes close to matching the unbelievably strong and positive emotions I have for you all," he writes. "I truly loved starting, running and living Sun."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV