NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Stocks advanced Wednesday after the Federal Open Market Committee's statement suggested a stabilizing economy and said it would keep rates near zero for an "extended period," as expected.
Aside from a tone that was mildly more upbeat in its discussion of economic conditions than recent releases, the statement from the Federal Reserve's rate-setting arm contained only one key surprise: one of the body's members, Kansas City Fed Chief Thomas Hoenig, dissented from the otherwise unanimous vote, saying he believed the economy had improved enough that expecting interest rates to remain close to zero for an extended period "was no longer warranted."
The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed up 42 points, or 0.4%, at 10,236. The S&P 500 gained 5 points, or 0.5%, to 1098, while the Nasdaq finished 18 points higher, or 0.8%, at 2221.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV