MILWAUKEE, Wisc. (TheStreet) -- It might seem hard for a mortgage company to lose more money in the fourth quarter than many Street analysts expect and still end the day up by close to 10%, but MGIC Investment (MGT) engineered that feat on Tuesday.
Shares of MGIC Investments ended Tuesday with a gain of 9.6%, or 58 cents to $6.64, and almost three times the mortgage company's normal level of trading -- 11.6 million shares traded versus an average daily level of close to 3.9 million shares traded.
The fourth quarter earnings report from MGIC Investment, the largest U.S. mortgage insurer, led to a rally among similar mortgage companies.
Radian Group (RDN) was up 4%, and had daily trading volume 2 million share above its normal level.Genworth Financial (GNW), which is a diversified financial company, but whose mortgage business has been the key performance laggard, ended the day up by 1.3%, with 17.5 million shares traded, versus an average daily trading volume of just under 11 million shares. GenWorth hit a 52-week high during Tuesday's trading session. PMI Group (PMI), one of MGIC Investment's competitors, was up 5%, too. At the same time as the mortgage rally, the financial and insurance sectors were both down on Tuesday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV