Joe Jimenez, head of the drugs division, will replace Vasella, 57, as CEO on Feb. 1.
The move comes amid stiff competition in the drug market, where patent expirations are a mounting problem.
Many at Novartis believed that COO Joerg Reinhardt was to succeed Jimenez, but he is leaving the company, instead. Reinhardt's position has been eliminated.Meanwhile, Jon Symonds, plucked from Goldman Sachs last year, will serve as the new CFO. Symonds is replacing Raymund Breu on Feb. 1. Breu is retiring at the end of March. David Epstein, head of Novartis's oncology business, will replace Jimenez as head of the pharmaceuticals division. The market seems to welcome the changes. Novartis stock has risen 1.3% at the start of the trading session to $54.10.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV