Joe Jimenez, head of the drugs division, will replace Vasella, 57, as CEO on Feb. 1.
The move comes amid stiff competition in the drug market, where patent expirations are a mounting problem.
Many at Novartis believed that COO Joerg Reinhardt was to succeed Jimenez, but he is leaving the company, instead. Reinhardt's position has been eliminated.Meanwhile, Jon Symonds, plucked from Goldman Sachs last year, will serve as the new CFO. Symonds is replacing Raymund Breu on Feb. 1. Breu is retiring at the end of March. David Epstein, head of Novartis's oncology business, will replace Jimenez as head of the pharmaceuticals division. The market seems to welcome the changes. Novartis stock has risen 1.3% at the start of the trading session to $54.10.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV