Five Insurance Stocks That Pay Big Dividends
NEW YORK (TheStreet) --Two-thirds of insurers still pay dividends. The exceptions tend to be in health care, such as WellPoint (WLP), or among firms still struggling, such as PMI Group (PMI). These five stocks offer strong growth potential and the biggest yields.
5. Unitrin (UTR) is a Chicago-based multiline insurer.
Dividend yield: 3.57%
Fundamentals: Cash and equivalents up 4.8% in the third quarter. Investments rose 1.8%. Liabilities fell 2.4%. Policy income rose 2.8%. Profit climbed to $62 million on cost cuts.Market indicators: Price-to-earnings ratio is 5.6. Price-to-book value is 74%. There's little short interest. Price has risen 1.7% this month and 53% during the past year. The beta is 1.21, indicating some volatility. The price is 16% less than the average price target of analysts. News: Fourth-quarter earnings are scheduled for Feb. 1.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV