Five Insurance Stocks That Pay Big Dividends
NEW YORK (TheStreet) --Two-thirds of insurers still pay dividends. The exceptions tend to be in health care, such as WellPoint (WLP), or among firms still struggling, such as PMI Group (PMI). These five stocks offer strong growth potential and the biggest yields.
5. Unitrin (UTR) is a Chicago-based multiline insurer.
Dividend yield: 3.57%
Fundamentals: Cash and equivalents up 4.8% in the third quarter. Investments rose 1.8%. Liabilities fell 2.4%. Policy income rose 2.8%. Profit climbed to $62 million on cost cuts.Market indicators: Price-to-earnings ratio is 5.6. Price-to-book value is 74%. There's little short interest. Price has risen 1.7% this month and 53% during the past year. The beta is 1.21, indicating some volatility. The price is 16% less than the average price target of analysts. News: Fourth-quarter earnings are scheduled for Feb. 1.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV