WASHINGTON (TheStreet) -- As President Obama prepares to deliver his first state of the union speech this week, there is only one thing he needs to do -- persuade Americans that he can create new jobs.
Little else matters. Obama can yammer on all he wants about punishing bankers and vilifying fat cat lobbyists who threaten his health care agenda, but what America really needs is an economic recovery that puts the 15 million unemployed Americans back to work and gives the additional millions of Americans who've dropped out of the workforce a reason to try again.
So far, the employment numbers keep going down, and so do Obama's approval ratings.
The U.S. lost 85,000 more jobs in December and just today Wal-Mart (WMT) said it will shed about 11,200 jobs at its Sam's Club warehouse, primarily by outsourcing in-store demonstrations to a marketing company.Meanwhile, 53% of respondents disapprove and 41% strongly disapprove of Obama's job performance in the Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for today.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV