Bernanke Expected to Get Second Term
WASHINGTON (TheStreet) -- Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke appears to have edged closer to a second term.
Mitch McConnell, the top Republican in the Senate, told NBC's "Meet the Press," on Sunday he expects Bernanke to be confirmed, without disclosing how he would vote.
A spokesman for Harry Reid, Senate majority leader, said the senator hopes for a vote to confirm Bernanke this week. Bernanke's term ends Jan. 31.
Bernanke's confirmation for a second, four-year term was thrown into doubt late last week as some key Democrats said he wouldn't be getting their vote. The uncertainty over Bernanke helped lead to a slide of 552 points last week in the Dow Jones industrial Average.Reuters says at least 29 senators have said they will back Bernanke or are leaning toward supporting him and at least 17 senators have either already voted against him in committee, come out against Bernanke or said they are leaning against him. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel in New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV