"Everyone here has emotional ties to the team, but some took that a step further and said 'Wow, I'm going to support them financially," Packers spokesman Aaron Popke says. "My wife is a physician here in town, and she's got her share up in her office next to her medical diplomas."
The Packers ownership model is envied by supporters of the Buffalo Bills, where fans hope strong ties to the community can overcome a tough local economic reality. Though a change of heart by league owners seems unlikely as the Bills and the Jacksonville Jaguars are targeted to become the Los Angeles NFL team, public efforts to preserve entities as local as a soul-food restaurant and as broad as an online encyclopedia always start small.
"You don't have to have a lot of money, education or 1,001 different connections," the Pink Tea Cup's Kwubiri says. "If you're passionate about something, other people will follow."
-- Reported by Jason Notte in Boston.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV