Airlines Expect a Slow Recovery
The major network carriers are heavily dependent on business travelers, who pay more for seats, both because they historically book closer to their departures and because they are more likely to fly in a premium class. In general, these carriers tend to have a 50-50 mix between business and leisure fliers. By contrast, Southwest said that in its fourth quarter, about 18% of its passengers bought full fare tickets, down from 24% a year ago.
American (AMR) CEO Gerard Arpey said Wednesday business travel is on the way back, but not necessarily quickly. "Historically in recessions, particularly in deep recessions, one of the quick things companies can do to cut costs is to cut business travel," Arpey said during American's earnings conference call. "It takes a while for corporations to realize there is a negative ultimate consequence to taking people off the road, that they were traveling as an integral part of doing business."
Still, CFO Tom Horton said American is "seeing signs that business travelers are getting back on the road." Corporate travel revenue was flat year over year, compared with a decline of 35% in May, he said.
As Kelly joked during the Southwest call: "Flat's the new up."-- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. .
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV