Airlines Expect a Slow Recovery
HOUSTON ( TheStreet) -- Airlines see what Wall Street sees: The recovery, if it continues, will be a slow one.
While most carriers have shown or will show improvements in revenue-per-available-seat mile, Continental (CAL) CEO Jeff Smisek reminded Thursday that those improvements result from comparisons with weak numbers compiled during the low point of the travel slowdown.
"Everyone should curb their RASM enthusiasm going into this quarter as we will again benefit from extremely weak comps," Smisek said during an earnings conference call. "We're a long way from being out of the woods."
As to the recovery, "I suspect it will be long and slow," Smisek said. "(But) a long and slow recovery is better than what we faced in 2008 and 2009."Executive Vice President Jim Compton added: "We are seeing business traffic coming back slowly, but we are stressing the word 'slowly.'" In each month of the fourth quarter, he said, Continental saw a smaller sequential decline in its RASM. Meanwhile, on Thursday Southwest (LUV) CEO Gary Kelly said, "We're very cautious about the current state of the economy and the outlook for the year. "Go back to the 1991 recession," Kelly said, during an earnings conference call. "It was years before business travel recovered," he said, noting that some business markets have not yet recovered from the 2001 recession. "There's no historical precedent for a sharp rebound in business travel," he said. "People change their habits. The sales guys who used to take one trip a month, they discover they only have to travel once a quarter."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV