To further add appeal to the sector, it appears that funding is no longer the barrier it once was. Through the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act, the U.S. Treasury Department has implemented a program that hands out cash grants in lieu of investment tax credits for renewable projects. Additionally, the Department of Energy has implemented a loan guarantee program and developed new grants for use in commercial and residential energy efficiency programs. Thirdly, numerous states have developed bond programs like the Property Assessed Clean Energy to make financing easier. Lastly, there are still some tax credits and utility rebates offered by the federal government, which add appeal to going green.
This focus on renewable and alternative energy sources will likely benefit the following ETFs:Claymore/MAC Global Solar Energy (TAN), which holds companies like First Solar (FSLR).
PowerShares WilderHill Clean Energy (PBW), which holds companies like Trina Solar (TSL), and CREE Inc. (CREE). iShares S&P Global Clean Energy Index (ICLN), which holds companies like Covanta Holding Corp. (CVA). Market Vectors Solar Energy ETF (KWT), which holds companies like MEMC Electronic Materials Inc. (WFR). When investing in these clean energy focused equities, it is important to consider the volatility of the energy sector and the inherent risks involved in investing. To help mitigate these risks, the use of an of an exit strategy which triggers price points which represent abnormal price weaknesses and an increased likelihood that further price weaknesses are likely to follow is of importance. Such a strategy can be found at www.SmartStops.net. -- Written by Kevin Grewal in Laguna Niguel, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV