Gold for February delivery was sinking another $12.50 to $1,090.70 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. Prices have traded as high as $1,098.0 and as low as $1,081.90. The U.S. dollar index was also falling 0.27% to $78.20 as the euro rallied.
Gold typically trades in opposition to the U.S. dollar since dollar-based commodities become cheaper to buy in other currencies when the dollar falls. But gold is bucking that inverse correlation Friday as general risk aversion cripples the commodity. President Obama announced Thursday a proposal to limit consolidation in the bank industry as well as restrict reportedly risky trading activities. Gold settled down almost $10 to $1,103.20 an ounce on the news. Also weighing on gold prices is the worry that China will tighten credit ending the supply of free money which has helped stimulate the global economy.
"The dollar and broad risk sentiment will continue to provide short-term direction
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV