If you look at the different chart below, you will see how the semiconductor market (line) has continued to rebound after 2000 while there has been quite a divergence between semi and equipment revenue since that time, compared with pre-2000.
Recovery in both semiconductors and equipment has begun from lows reached in early 2009. However, semiconductor sales (dotted line on the chart) are nearly back to where they were in September 2008 when the downturn in the industry started. Revenue in October 2009 was down only 5.5% from the September 2008 level.
On the other hand, semiconductor equipment sales in November 2009 are down 42.3% from levels reached in March 2008, the start of the downturn in the equipment market.
The answer to the problem is that semiconductor manufacturers need to spend.According to IC Insights, the $1 billion cap-ex spenders include the following firms in 2010: Samsung ($6 billion); Intel (INTC) ($5.3 billion); Taiwan Semiconductor (TSM)($3 billion); Hynix ($2 billion); Toshiba ($1.95 billion); GlobalFoundries, a partnership that includes Advanced Micro Devices (AMD)($1.9 billion); Micron (MU) ($1.3 billion); Nanya ($1.1 billion); and Elpida ($1 billion). -- Written by Robert Castellano in New Tripoli, Pa.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV