NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The business climate for the semiconductor equipment industry is being undermined by chip manufacturers, not the economy.
It is widely known that semiconductor revenue coordinates well with gross domestic product. If economic conditions are favorable globally or regionally, consumers will have the resources to purchase items that contain semiconductors, whether they be PCs, cell phones, or automobiles.
One would think that there would be a correlation between semiconductor sales and equipment purchases, as more and newer equipment would be purchased to manufacture the additional chips. Historically, there was this correlation until the downturn in the industry in 2001. One of the major culprits has been the move to 300mm wafers, which as we have written about previously, utilize half the amount of equipment to process the same number of chips because of the two-times increase in silicon real estate on a 300mm silicon wafer compared with a 200mm wafer.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV