NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer received better-than-expected first-round bids of between $1.5 billion and $2.5 billion, but short of covering the $3.7 billion the studio owes lenders, a report says.
MGM also has begun to explore how it could stage a streamlined "prepackaged" bankruptcy as part of the auction, the Wall Street Journal reports, citing people with knowledge of the situation.
MGM's current list of potential buyers includes Time Warner (TWX), Lions Gate Entertainment (LGF), Summit Entertainment, Liberty Media (LINTB), News Corp. (NWS), and India's Reliance ADA , the newspaper reports.
MGM studio is owned by a group including private-equity firms Providence Equity Partners and TPG, and Sony (SNE) and Comcast (CMCSA), which acquired the studio in a $5 billion deal that closed in 2005.MGM, which owns a movie library with about 4,000 titles, has begun evaluating the bids and could start providing more information to serious contenders in the near future, people familiar with the matter said, the Journal reports. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel in New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV