Craig P. writes, "Seems like the J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference was nothing but a lot of junk this year. No real news. Probably just another excuse of a conference for J.P. Morgan to entice biotech companies to rob their shareholders blind with more dilutive financings."
C'mon Craig, let's be fair. Biotech CEOs don't need bankers like J.P. Morgan to push them into dilutive financings. They're very happy to do so on their own accord!
Craig is right, the biotech tribe's insanely busy gathering in San Francisco last week did not produce much news, and that was a disappointment. Yet optimism for the biotech sector and the year ahead did seem high. That's a plus, I guess. Of course, those that attended were the Kool-Aid drinkers -- convincing investors who were not in attendance to put money to work in biotech is the real trick.
I'm still working through my notes from last week and doing more research, but some of the stock stories which left me with the warm fuzzies were Medivation (MDVN) (I think the Alzheimer's drug Dimebon has a real shot at working); Alkermes (ALKS) (a good way to play the FDA's upcoming decision on Exenatide Once Weekly); Gilead Sciences (GILD) (HIV, HIV, HIV); and even Genzyme (GENZ) (I think investors are going to kick out the CEO, Henri Termeer).-- Reported by Adam Feuerstein in Boston. Follow Adam Feuerstein on Twitter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV