SUNNYVALE, Calif. (TheStreet) -- AMD (AMD) will post its fourth-quarter results after market close on Thursday, and investors are keen to see whether the chipmaker receives a boost from the apparent uptick in tech spending.
Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters expect AMD to post revenue of $1.49 billion, up slightly from $1.162 billion in the same period over last year. The chipmaker's losses are also expected to narrow as the company slowly claws its way out of a troubled period marked by ongoing losses. Excluding items, AMD is expected to report a loss of 18 cents a share, compared to a loss of 69 cents a share in the prior year's quarter.
At least one analyst, though, believes that AMD could reap the benefits of an improving economy and beat analysts' estimates."Strong results are largely expected across all key metrics as PC markets have tracked ahead of expectations through the quarter, driven by a strong holiday selling season," explained Doug Freedman, an analyst at Broadpoint AmTech, in a recent note. Specifically, Freedman cites the impact of Microsoft's (MSFT) Windows 7 operating system, robust demand for notebooks and netbooks, and a "moderate improvement" in the enterprise channel. AMD's stock has also been on an upswing since its analyst day in November, rising from $5.32 to its current level just under $9. In early trading on Thursday, AMD's shares rose 5 cents, or 0.56% to $8.92, as the Nasdaq dipped 0.82%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV