The deal might have significant ramifications across the tech sector, expanding Oracle's reach well beyond its traditional database software business and increasing competition with IBM (IBM) and Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) . Brimming with servers and storage, Sun initially seemed a strange target for Larry Ellison's huge firm, although Oracle had already made a play into the hardware business with its Exadata storage server (which uses Sun's kit).
Sun may have earned a reputation for poor execution in recent years, but it has a broad footprint that encompasses enterprises, service providers, and high-end data centers, all of which provide Oracle with an opportunity to carve out additional revenue.
The greater strategic value for Oracle, though, comes in Sun's Java, Solaris and MySQL software technology. MySQL, which competes with Microsoft's (MSFT) SQL and IBM's DB2, is one of Sun's brightest rays and was the major bone of contention in the Oracle-Sun deal. Regulators initially voiced concern over Oracle's willingness to maintain MySQL's open-source credentials.With the deal now rubber-stamped by the E.U., Oracle can use MySQL to extend its reach, particularly into the small- to medium-sized business market. Sun's Solaris software is also a major platform for Oracle's databases and Ellison is expected to optimize his company's software for some of Solaris' high-end features. Java, on the other hand, could open the door to Sun's vast installed base, as well as its extensive partner ecosystem.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV