Watch This Memory Maker: Under the Radar
Rumors swirling around about a potential acquisition by IBM have also played with the stock price, but there's little to suggest that any deal is in the works.
STEC looks like a steal based on earnings multiples though. The price-to-earnings ratio is at 10.2 versus an industry average of 31.8. If the stock doubled, it would be fairly valued based on these multiples. However, the stock is stuck in a volatile cycle as investors question when EMC will again call on the company to supply it with fresh parts.
The company is in no real peril because it's funded by equity, with a lofty current ratio of 7.53. The main variable is revenue growth. The company will report fourth-quarter results in early March, bringing more clarity on the stock's direction.
This is a great stock to watch in the coming weeks. Before its earnings announcement, the stock could climb in anticipation of an optimistic outlook from the company, but investors should hold off until rumors are reality. Once EMC appears ready for a second helping of inventory, STEC could take off. We rate the stock "hold." Monitor the situation closely.-- Reported by David MacDougall in Boston.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV