Rumors swirling around about a potential acquisition by IBM have also played with the stock price, but there's little to suggest that any deal is in the works.
STEC looks like a steal based on earnings multiples though. The price-to-earnings ratio is at 10.2 versus an industry average of 31.8. If the stock doubled, it would be fairly valued based on these multiples. However, the stock is stuck in a volatile cycle as investors question when EMC will again call on the company to supply it with fresh parts.
The company is in no real peril because it's funded by equity, with a lofty current ratio of 7.53. The main variable is revenue growth. The company will report fourth-quarter results in early March, bringing more clarity on the stock's direction.
This is a great stock to watch in the coming weeks. Before its earnings announcement, the stock could climb in anticipation of an optimistic outlook from the company, but investors should hold off until rumors are reality. Once EMC appears ready for a second helping of inventory, STEC could take off. We rate the stock "hold." Monitor the situation closely.-- Reported by David MacDougall in Boston.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV