Economic Rebound Bolsters Temporary Hiring
The transition may not be as jarring as some fear. In fact, it may not differ much from what younger workers have already come to expect.
The average person will hold 10.8 jobs by age 42, according to the U.S. Labor Department. Younger people have grown accustomed to holding multiple jobs and are more comfortable with alternative work arrangements than their older colleagues.
Technology might also speed the process. The use of e-mail, social networks and instant messaging enable the sort of remote collaboration that had previously been a stumbling block for shifting to a just-in-time workforce.
But new problems may arise as the nature of the workforce shifts. Would the need for transient workers to hop from job to job mean they no longer have roots in a given area? Would frequent moves undermine the housing market? Would the lack of job stability take a toll on the mental health of workers?MacDonnell also sees numerous tax issues arising from the shift to a temporary workforce as companies adjust to new compensation models. -- Reported by Joe Mont in Boston.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV