BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- Scott Brown's victory in the Massachusetts special election to replace the late Democratic Sen. Ted Kennedy is not a new American mandate for the Republican agenda.
Whatever the pundits say, this is the voice of the 6.5 million folks in Massachusetts speaking not all 304 million Americans.
That said, Brown's victory will have a national impact because he replaces a liberal icon in Congress and breaks the Democrats' filibuster-proof majority.
Some are interpreting this as the death knell for President Obama's health reform agenda because the Democrats no longer control enough Senate seats to thwart Republican efforts to forestall votes. Democrats had enjoyed the magic three-fifths majority of 60 votes that allowed them to ram through their agenda when everyone in the party fell in line.I don't think that's the case either. The notion that health care reform is dead hugely underestimates Obama. Nonetheless, we started to see a health care rally yesterday as the Massachusetts election unfolded, and many are expecting health care investors to cheer Brown's win today. We may indeed see more gains for HMO stocks like Humana (HUM) and UnitedHealth (UNH) and some analysts have singled out drug makers like Eli Lilly (LLY) and Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) as having much to gain from the defeat of health care reforms. Long ago, major insurers stopped playing nice on health reform and began a campaign to paint the plan as an expensive, ill-conceived proposal that will raise the cost of health care for all Americans. The insurance group leading the attacks is called America's Health Insurance Plans, which represents 1,300 insurance companies, including big names like Aetna (AET), Cigna (CI), and WellPoint (WLP).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV