Health Care Investors Cheer Brown's Win
BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- The election of underdog Republican Scott Brown to the open U.S. Senate seat in Massachusetts Tuesday night greatly reduces the odds that health care reform will pass Congress and could extend a rally in health care stocks.
Brown's victory over Democrat Martha Coakley for the Bay State Senate seat vacated by the death of liberal lion Sen. Edward Kennedy gives Republicans 41 seats in the U.S. Senate. With those numbers, Republicans have the votes needed to break the Democrats' 60-seat majority and force major changes, or even stop completely, President Barack Obama's health care reform proposals.
The demise of health care reform is likely to be seen as a net positive for the health care sector, with investors expected to buying into the sector Wednesday.
"We expect the broad health care rally to continue, given that many generalists perceive Obamacare as unfavorable to the sector. We would, however, specifically highlight the HMO stocks, which bear the greatest burden in the proposed legislation," said Monness Crespi Hardt health care analyst Avik Roy, in a note to clients Tuesday night.Roy expects HMO stocks with the largest exposure to Medicare Advantage are best positioned for a rally with a Brown victory, including Humana (HUM), Coventry (CVH), WellCare (WCG), HealthNet (HNT) and UnitedHealth (UNH). U.S. pharmaceutical stocks were already outperforming the broader S&P 500 since the fall. Brown's victory could extend that rally, says Bank of America/Merrill Lynch analyst Eric Lo. "Failure for reform would remove any near-term
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV